What Are the Benefits of Drinking Water Kefir?
You can find a good list of benefits here: kefir tibicos, but heres a quick list of my own:
- Natural Probiotic
- Digestive Strength
- Fights inflammation
- Fights free-radicals
- Strengthens immune system overall
- Increases energy
- Increases mobility
- Fights depression, enhances mood
What Weakens the Immune System?
Strictly speaking from someone who struggles with immune health, these are the factors I have found that weaken my immune system.
- Poor food choices (Fast Food, Sweets, etc.)
- Lack of sleep
- Lack of Hydration (Water)
For myself, if I mess up on one or two of these, I would literally be sick within 24 hours. By "sick" I mean low grade fever, chills, body aches, "flu" - type sick. If I went a few days like that I would end up with a sinus infection and laryngitis. Up until last year, it was typical for me to be sick at least twice a month and have a sinus infection/laryngitis at least 3 times per year.
In previous posts, I have talked about other things I have done to strengthen my immune system, like the Anti-Inflammatory Diet and drinking raw, young coconuts. As with any regiment you are doing to get healthy, you cant just have a "quick fix" and be healthy forever, it has to remain a lifestyle. I am excited to have added water kefir to my daily lifestyle, and heres what its been doing for me.
The miracle for me was that in the 8 weeks I have been drinking water kefir I have had more than the two factors I listed above which would normally diminish my immune system and my body has recovered each day beautifully. No sickness. None.
While I don't want to make any medical claims, I am stating my testimonial, that water kefir did indeed strengthen my immune system and vitality in a very noticeable way.
Ready for a recipe?
Jasmine Ginger Ale Kefir
(Basic Water Kefir Recipe Steps 1-3)
(Always make sure the sugar water mix is cool before adding grains)
2. Let sit on counter covered with cloth (I use old t-shirt cut up & rubber-banded.) for 24-48 hrs. (I go 48)
3. Strain out the grains (with cheese cloth or strainer) and bottle the water (1 Quart makes 2 bottles).
4. Add 1TBSP dried Jasmine, 2 TBSP of raw ginger juiced, and 1 TBSP Coconut Sugar, Honey, or Agave (whatever sweetener you like) *you will want to add something because it will help it frement and get bubbly.
5. Let sit on counter 12-48 more hours capped tight. Then refrigerate.
Enjoy your bubbly pro-biotic drink!