Sunday, June 2, 2013

Easy Sourdough Bread Recipe


Once you have finally got some good sourdough starter, the saga continues because now you have to sift through, literally, five million recipes to find which one to do! Some use yeast, some use eggs, it can be so overwhelming! So far I have tried about ten different recipes and here is our current favorite. Enjoy!

Easy Sourdough Bread Recipe:

1 Cup Sourdough Starter
2 2/3 Cup Flour (Bread Flour)
3/4 Cup Warm Water
1 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
oil to coat

Mix the yeast in the warm water, you can add a little sugar to help activate it, depends on who's making it in my house, I usually forget the sugar.

Meanwhile, mix the starter, flour and salt. Then add the water & yeast in. I don't have a bread maker or large mixer with dough hooks, so I am kneading it the old fashioned way. Then I put a little olive oil on it, and coat it. Plop the ball of dough back in the bowl & cover with a lightweight towel, at least overnight, but 24 hrs or more is best.

Bake at 400F for 30 minutes.

I still haven't gotten a loaf that has risen super good, but the flavor and texture is great! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment