Thursday, December 22, 2011

Easiest Bread Pudding EVER!



I grew up in an Italian family where we had four food groups... bread, pasta, grandpa's salad (the real oil and vinegar with raw blue cheese), and bread pudding. Who even needed meat? Just pass the bread! Needless to say, I developed a love for bread pudding at a young age. For years I've tried multitudes of recipes and I've come up with this as the easiest and yummiest. It seriously takes 5 minutes to whip up. Seriously. Enjoy!
Ingredients:
2 Loaves Cinnamon Raisin bread (the best is getting day old bread from a local bakery, even our asian markets here in the Bay Area have AMAZING raisin bread)
6 Eggs
2 Cups Milk (I use Almond Milk because we don't do dairy)
1-2 Teaspoons of Cinnamon
Depending on what bread or pastries you are using, you may throw in extra stuff, like if I'm using pretty plain or bland bread I'll throw in my own raisins, dried cranberries, frozen blueberries, whatever I have around the house.

Cube the bread into squares and toss in a big bowl. In a separate bowl whip milk and eggs together, sprinkle cinnamon. Put the bread in a 9"x 13" baker pan (pyrex or baking stone) and then pour the egg/milk mixture over it. I use a large spatula to press the bread down into the milk/eggs.  You can sprinkle more cinnamon on top or call it a day.
The not so fun part is putting it in the fridge for an hour and waiting to bake it. I will usually make it in the morning and put in in the fridge, then toss it in the oven before dinner time. The more time in the fridge the better. This way the bread absorbs all the milk and when it bakes its super gooey and not dry at all. Trust me, I've done in 50 times.
Then pull it out when your ready to bake, and pop it in the oven on 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
I have yet to find an amazing vanilla sauce that matches Max's Opera House Cafe, my personal favorite sauce, but seems everyone does rum sauces now a days, which I detest, so it's been hard to find. If you have a good one, please post it for me!! Thanks!!! and Enjoy!!
- Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment