Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Water Kefir Immune Boost & Recipe



Water Kefir (NON-Dairy) is the newest addition to my immune boosting protocol. Of course you probably know about the many benefits of drinking kefir, especially for the probiotic factor, but when my friend gave me some kefir grains a couple months ago I had no idea that this was going to give me the boost it did. 


What Are the Benefits of Drinking Water Kefir?

You can find a good list of benefits here: kefir tibicos, but heres a quick list of my own:
  • Natural Probiotic 
  • Digestive Strength
  • Fights inflammation
  • Fights free-radicals
  • Strengthens immune system overall
  • Increases energy
  • Increases mobility
  • Fights depression, enhances mood
If you are on a tight budget or time-frame, this is the easiest and lowest-cost regiment you will ever make. Here's a link to  Cultures for Health where you can purchase a starter kit. 

 

What Weakens the Immune System?

Strictly speaking from someone who struggles with immune health, these are the factors I have found that weaken my immune system.
  • Poor food choices (Fast Food, Sweets, etc.)
  • Lack of sleep
  • Lack of Hydration (Water)
  • Overexertion
  • Stress
For myself, if I mess up on one or two of these, I would literally be sick within 24 hours.  By "sick" I mean low grade fever, chills, body aches,  "flu" - type sick. If I went a few days like that I would end up with a sinus infection and laryngitis. Up until last year, it was typical for me to be sick at least twice a month and have a sinus infection/laryngitis at least 3 times per year.

In previous posts, I have talked about other things I have done to strengthen my immune system, like the Anti-Inflammatory Diet and drinking raw, young coconuts. As with any regiment you are doing to get healthy, you cant just have a "quick fix" and be healthy forever, it has to remain a lifestyle. I am excited to have added water kefir to my daily lifestyle, and heres what its been doing for me.

The miracle for me was that in the 8 weeks I have been drinking water kefir I have had more than the two factors I listed above which would normally diminish my immune system and my body has recovered each day beautifully. No sickness. None. 

While I don't want to make any medical claims, I am stating my testimonial, that water kefir did indeed strengthen my immune system and vitality in a very noticeable way.


Ready for a recipe?

 

Jasmine Ginger Ale Kefir

(Basic Water Kefir Recipe Steps 1-3)

1. Place 1/4 C Water Kefir Grains in Sugar Water (1 Quart bottled water + 1/3 C Raw sugar Dissolved) in Glass Mason Jar.
    (Always make sure the sugar water mix is cool before adding grains)

2. Let sit on counter covered with cloth (I use old t-shirt cut up & rubber-banded.) for 24-48 hrs. (I go 48)

3. Strain out the grains (with cheese cloth or strainer) and bottle the water (1 Quart makes 2 bottles). 

4. Add 1TBSP dried Jasmine, 2 TBSP of raw ginger juiced, and 1 TBSP Coconut Sugar, Honey, or Agave (whatever sweetener you like) *you will want to add something because it will help it frement and get bubbly.

5. Let sit on counter 12-48 more hours capped tight. Then refrigerate. 

Enjoy your bubbly pro-biotic drink!



No comments:

Post a Comment